Monday, May 3, 2010

Like Father, Like Son

I love my son. He's thirteen, on his way to being a good man. He's kind, intelligent, sensitive, passionate. He's a baseball player, a musician, a budding songwriter, an aspiring comic, a goofball, and in general a joy to my heart. I absolutely love spending time with him, but I also enjoy seeing him go off and accomplish things by himself and be a friend to others. I don't dominate his existence, but I do enjoy our time together.

I think it would be absurd for me to plan out his life in excruciating detail. There's so much he's interested in, so much he could do; I wouldn't want to lock him into just one thing like "son, be a doctor and make me proud" or anything like that. Sure, I'll provide some guidance along the way, but I know that the only things that will stick will be things he personally chooses to do, not out of manipulation or guilt or shame or pressure, but out of the depths of his heart, out of his true passions, and consistent with the skills and talents he has and has developed.

I suspect one reason God designed the roles of father and mother was so we could understand in hindsight his perspective toward us as his children and grasp the true nature of our parental roles. As father he is a strong, supportive, encouraging, wise provider. His maternal nuturing, compassion, mercy, and gentleness demonstrate other facets of his deep love for us.

That's why I find it implausible when some suggest his sovereignty results in micro-managing every little facet of our lives like some cosmic control freak. I've seen some parents like that, and they don't resemble at all the God I've come to know and love.

I also find it unnecessary to live in fear of missing "his perfect will for my life" (a man-made phrase if ever I've seen one, right up there with "just ask Jesus into your heart", something no apostle ever did). Sure, I'd be a wise child to seek his guidance - especially about big matters - but ultimately that choice will be mine to make and hopefully I'll do so in a way consistent with the values he has instilled in me.

I also know that I'm free to try and to fail, and that it's OK. Just as I'll be there to help my own son pick up the pieces, sort things out, and try to do better the next time, so I know he'll be there for me and that ultimately even the mistakes will teach me something and work out for some kind of good in the end.

And so I enjoy the time I do spend with "heavenly father" in private. But I also know that he wants me to go out there and be all that I can be for my sake and for the sake of the world that he created. Sure he'll be watching, and ready to help me pick up the pieces once again, but he's given me the freedom to choose, the encouragement to try, and the hope that I can make a contribution to this good, great world of his.

No comments: