Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Jeff Moore, 1960-2009

He introduced me to Steve Martin's comedy on the soccer field when I was 16. He told me what Mensa was (and he was a member). He showed me how to listen to a song one instrument at a time so I could learn to then hear the whole mix. He had an uncanny ear to point out the slightest buzz, pop, blip, or other artifact. He had the most amazing stories (most of them probably true) about meeting Rev. Al Green, Marc Cohn, and about his dear friend Darrell becoming friends with Jerry Reed. His smarts and speed (in spite of his size) enabled our soccer team to only use two fullbacks, and teams could go an entire half getting maybe one shot on goal. He had the ability to size people up and keep them honest with humorous little zingers that never became malicious. I don't think I ever saw him angry. He had an amazing singing voice, but was far more comfortable behind a mixing console. He taught me how to use head voice instead of falsetto. He was a very good record producer, patiently pointing out what could be better, and always keeping in mind the goals of the band, the capabilities of the musician, and the possibilities of the song. He helped produce my first recording, the one that got my dad to lay down $5000 on a home studio to get me started. He could be trusted with the most embarrassing details. I'll ignore the video production company we started - not every venture pans out. I'd only once gotten so drunk that I couldn't remember what I did or said (just before I met my future wife after a high school basketball game); it was on the way to his house for a party, and he was kind enough to remember what I said and did and recall it for me over the years. My buddy Tom and I visited him in the hospital a few weeks back when he first got sick. I called, emailed, and texted him a few times since. I heard he got out of the hospital and had to go back in because the breathing was just too difficult. I didn't sleep well tonight, and got up at 3am only to find out from a friend that he had gone to meet his father and his Heavenly Father. He was gentle and strong, care-free and careful, fun and funny. He was my friend and I'll miss him very much.

No comments: